Anemoi Hell

In an obvious fit of insanity this weekend, I decided to begin knitting Eunny Jang’s Anemoi Mittens. I’ve never done colorwork like this before, I never have the patience to knit on such small needles, and I never check guage before I start anything. This error of my ways on this last point has finally caught up with me! Let me also point out that I have not finished my Christmas knitting so beginning something like this just for “fun” is not very wise. But these mitten’s are gorgeous so once I saw them, I had to make them.

(note – these are not mine, this pic is courtesy of the Eunny Jang website, see link above)

I finally found the perfect yarn to make them Saturday. I bought Paca Peds in Fireside as my CC (although mine is more burgundy and less gold than the picture on their site) and Classic Elite Alpaca Sox in Oatmeal as my MC. So, Saturday night I hunkered down and started my trek.

The tubular cast on, which I’ve never done before, was a pretty simple learn and I really like the way it turned out. This is my new favorite cast on for gloves/mittens. Following that, however, is the corrugated rib cuff. This is where the nightmare begins. This was also a new skill for me, and a very tedious one at that. It looks nice, but I will avoid it at all costs in the future. As I mentioned, not checking guage caught up with me here. I used the recommended US size 0 needles for the cuff, and knew pretty soon into it that there was no way a human hand was going to fit into it without the breaking of several bones. I could barely get three fingers in. So after 2 hours or so of corrugated rib and lots of cursing, rip, rip, rip. I couldn’t bring myself to do it all again (and then again for a second mitten) so I decided to go safe (and sane) with the cuff and do a plain K1P1 rib in the main color. After about 15 rounds, I decided I just didn’t like how plain it was and again…rip, rip, rippppp. I quit for the night…3 hours or so and NOTHING to show for it except some good blistering on my fingertips from the tiny needlepoints.

A good night’s sleep, some strong coffee, and I jumped back in Sunday morning. Now on US size 2 needles and casting on an extra 6 stitches (12 stitches to be added to the body of the mitten, I will only add 6 now), I was off. Back to the corrugated ribbing…did I mention how tedious this is?!?! I would say that the entire cuff took at least two hours and it was still tight, but will fit the recipient who’s hands are tiny. Beware if you are making these mittens…I think an average size hand would need at least a US size 3 needle as opposed to the US size 0 recommended in the pattern.

Once the cuff was done, I had had enough for the day! But I was eager to begin the stranded colorwork in pattern so i knit 8 rows of it. MUCH FASTER moving now! Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve never done colorwork so this was new territory. But I’m finding it pretty easy knitting with one color in each hand. normally I knit with my yarn in my left hand so I was worried this might be troublesome, but I caught on pretty quick. So far, I LOVE the colors I chose and the way the pattern is knitting up. I will post a picture when I have more of it done.

NOT looking forward to cuff #2!!!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s